Friday, October 24, 2008

National Arts and Humanities Month






In honor of National Arts and Humanities Month, I'm sharing a link to a thought-provoking interview with my friend, Dan Pink, on the Oprah Soul Series.


Click on the icon or click to the link here. It will take you to Dan's blog and links.
The interview is in two parts and you can download the audio AND video. As Dan Pink covered in A Whole New Mind: Why Right-Brainers Will Rule The Future, Oprah and Dan discuss how "the MFA has become the new MBA." This year after her speech to the graduating class at Stanford, Oprah gave Dan's book to the entire class.
Please listen and let me know what you think.

In the spirit of this month, here's a list of my favorite Art/Music NF picture books. Some of the books I raved about before, but, hey, they warrant repeating. The main focus of Art Appreciation is not to do art projects or learn the name of the artist but to have the children talk about art: their thoughts, feelings, and opinions.

Frida
Jonah Winter (author)
Ana Juan (illustrator)
Arthur A. Levine Books (2002)

Great book for Kindergartners to fifth graders. I have read it to several classes and it captures the attention of all and leads to interesting discussions. 



Dali and the Path of Dreams
Anna Obiolis (author)
Joan Subirana (illustrator)
Frances Lincoln Children's Books (2007)

Beautifully illustrated book and I don't think I could explain the creative style of Dali better.
 



Can You Hear it?
Dr. William Lach
Metropolitan Museum of Art
Abrams Books for Young Readers (2006)

"Listen and Look". Music and 13 masterpieces. Doesn't get any better than that.




Music for the End of Time
Jen Bryant (author)
Beth Peck (illustrator)
Eerdmans Books for Young Readers (2008)

Wonderful story of the power of music and passion.






Art to Make You Scared
Art to Make You Smile
Elizabeth Newbury
Frances Lincoln Children's Books (2008)

Fun books to start lively discussions.
Wouldn't the scary one be great for Halloween?




Sandy's Circus
Tanya Lee Stone (author)
Boris Kulikov (illustrator)
Viking (2008)

Interesting story to get kids drawn into a discussion of Calder.
My son's third grade teacher is going to read to the class Blue Balliett's Calder Game to complement my Art Appeciation lesson later this year. Of course, the lesson will start with Sandy's Circus.

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up."
Pablo Picasso

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Anna,
That was a really interesting interview, but a long one. I listened to about 10 minutes of the first half (30 min), but I do plan to go back and hear the whole thing and I'd also like to read the book. I've always considered myself right smack in the middle of left and right brains, so it makes me feel like I'm in a good spot for a change!