Friday, January 25, 2013

New STEAM Books for Kids

Earlier this week, I was doing a little personal research on STEAM books for kids. I hopped over to Google and entered STEAM books for kids. After looking through the 120+ hits on Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel (and a few Steampunk hits), I finally found a reference to a book discussion about STEAM books, and then more pages on Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel. When I used quotes, I got one hit… and it wasn’t related to STEAM books.
In November of 2011, in an INK post titled STEM & STEAM – Interesting Nonfiction for Kids, I wrote about the importance of STEM and STEAM in the schools.
I love STEAM books. One of the reasons why I was asked to be a member of this group five years ago was of my outspokenness on art books for kids. So, in regards to my Google search above and going back to my INK roots, I wanted to provide a service to any school, library, teacher, or parent who was interested in STEAM books.

Here are just a few of the latest books that may fall into a Google search for:
STEAM books for Kids
Art books for Kids
Adding art books to library
Awesome art books for kids

It Jes' Happened: When Bill Traylor Started to Draw
by Don Tate, R. Gregory Christie
Lee & Low Books, April 2012

What Is Contemporary Art? A Guide for Kids
by Jacky Klein and Suzy Klein
The Museum of Modern Art, New York October 2012

Sky High
by Germano Zullo illustrated by Albertine
Chronicle Books, September 2012

Colorful Dreamer: The Story of Artist Henri Matisse Marjorie 
by Blain Parker (Author), Holly Berry (Illustrator)
Dial, November 2012

Brushes with Greatness: History Paintings
Brushes with Greatness: Landscapes
By Valerie Boddon
Brushes with Greatness: Portraits
Brushes with Greatness: Still Lifes
By Joy Frisch-Schmoll
Creative Paperbacks, January 2013

A Splash of Red: The Life and Art of Horace Pippin
by Jen Bryant
Alfred A. Knopf, January 2013

Mister Orange
by Truus Matti
Enchanted Lion Books, January 2013

Diego Rivera: An Artist for the People
by Susan Goldman Rubin
Abrams Books for Young Readers, February 2013

And, here's a book to be published soon that my be of interest to teachers, educators, and libraries:


From STEM to STEAM: Using Brain-Compatible Strategies to Integrate the Arts
by David A. Sousa and Thomas J. Pilecki 
Corwin, March 2013


In high school when I read The Agony and the Ecstasy by Irving Stone, Michelangelo's artistic passion moved me like no other and drew me to the arts. It is my wish that every child have the opportunity to find his or her passion in life - hopefully, through a wonderful book. 

Please, if there are some new STEAM books that I have missed, add them to the comments section. 











3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd love to add MY HANDS SING THE BLUES: Romare Bearden's Childhood Journey by Jeanne Walker Harvey.

- Cathy

Michelle Cusolito said...

Have you seen "Face Book" by Chuck Close? I think it fits this category perfectly. Close is an inspiration- an example of a man whose life was literally saved by art. And the book is based on questions/answers when a group of students visited his studio.

Anonymous said...

As a librarian and daily reader of this blog, I love the book lists! I will be sure to add these titles to my order this year as I build up my art collection. Thanks!