Friday, May 25, 2012

Author Presentation - All Tied Up


Last month, I wrote a somewhat tongue-in-cheek post titled Lessons Learned - Author Presentations. The comments and suggestions from readers of that post were fantastic and very helpful. Today, I thought that I’d share a little about my recent Author Visit -mixing it up with knowledge I learned and information I shared, all wrapped up with some very touching and creative thank you cards.

 During my Introduction while described my childhood, I explained that I liked to read, make stuffed toys for my brother, and secretly write and illustrate stories in my closet. And, I liked cotton candy. These elements were woven throughout my presentation.








Of course, cotton candy got a huge reaction.

During my Writing portion, I showed them how I feel some days, while I am writing.









I think all the students could relate.
(Also, I shared, "The fact that I'm talking to you instead of writing is yet another way that I'm procrastinating.")

The only problem I had was my throat became dry while talking for all that time. I brought my trusty water bottle with me. But, like I shared to a friend, “When I stopped to take a drink, I had 60 pairs of eyes glued on me.” There’s got to be a secret to being able to speak and not get a dry throat.

Though I’ve done classes and presentations, this was my first go at a Powerpoint presentation. The previous week during a sold out show at a large, local theater, the speaker’s Powerpoint presentation continually got the “spinning ball of death”. I was so scared that was going to happen to me. The teacher and I tried to match our schedules so I could to go in a day or two early and check to see if the presentation ran okay. But, in the end, I had to cross my fingers and arrive at the school 45 minutes early to get everything working. Let’s just say that the presentation finally got on the screen five minutes before the students came in. Lesson learned: buy a projector!

The teacher told me later that the students were talking about my presentation and writing the entire rest of the day. She said, “The students were so excited about your visit and now inspired to write their own stories!”

Here’s a few nuggets from the cards and letters:
“You inspired me to draw and write.”
“I will probably buy your book it sounds really good.”
“I want your book so badly.”
“You rock, Mrs. Lewis.”
“I think your presentation was awesome.”
“You have inspired me to become an author! I’m sure The House that Jill Built will be awesome.”
“I will read the book right when it comes out.”

Would love to share all 60 wonderful comments. But, I’ll stop at those. Gotta love 'em.

The one thing that strikes me while I’m rereading all these cards is they are all extremely creative and unique. Our schools are truly filled with some amazing talented and creative students. They are the creators of our future.


3 comments:

lvharris said...

Like you, I relax as soon as my PowerPoint presentation is up and running and treasure notes and comments from kids.

Unknown said...

Enjoyed this post! I had a projector problem at a conference...it overrode the iPad display so that the iPad only showed the final state of the presentation slide, not the various images appearing, moving, etc. However, the full presentation DID show on the screen. Nobody told me (as I was muttering in dismay) and I didn't think to look behind me. VERY confusing. It probably is a good idea to have your own projector.

Denise Bailey said...

Mrs.Banana Lewis,
Sounds like you were a hot.i think your audience can relate to procrastination.They are constantly nagged by their parents; when in reality, everyone does it.But, you will finish your book on time, it will be great,and you were entertaining along the way.

Of course you are an inspiration!